Thursday, January 18, 2018

My Daith Piercing for Migraines

I get asked about my daith piercing a lot so I figured I would just talked about it here!

First things first- there is really no scientific evidence that supports Daith piercings as a treatment option for migraines and is believed to be a total placebo. Just putting that out there so that if you are just recently getting a lot of migraines make sure you go see a REAL medical doctor rather than just going to get this piercing done and hoping for the best. If this is all news to you and you never even heard of daith piercings helping migraines- people say they help migraines! So if nothing has worked for you this far and you are looking to try something else keep reading!

ANYWAYS before I give my review I just have to throw this in there-- It so so amusing to me when people ask on Facebook "Has anyone heard anything about the daith piercing helping with migraines?" And then everyone in the world likes to give their 2 cents and opinion on this topic when none of them have even had the piercing done and half of their claims are totally incorrect and not true. I'm obviously not an expert nor do I claim to be one but before I got this piercing I did TONS of research so heres basically wha you need to know--
+Daith piercings do not cure migraines
+There is no scientific research that backs up the claims that they help migraines
+Some people they help, some people they don't
+It's all kind of he said she said and just a bunch of reviews from people who have got the piercing
+To have it be VERY effective you would need a professional acupuncturist to go with you to show them the exact pressure point
+It is more than likely a placebo
+There are a lot of people say that it helps a lot! Even some that claim they completely went away! Some people that SWEAR by this piercing!
+Keep in mind everyones migraines are different in severity and type and so everyones experiences are going to be different

With that said here is my story/thoughts/review of my Daith piercing.

Almost a year ago I began getting severe and frequent migraines that were so debilitating they often affected my every day life. I tried TONS of different remedies, medications, and treatment options and nothing seemed to be working. I even got X RAYS and an MRI done they were so awful. Nothing seemed to add up so after 3 months of this I went in and got my daith pierced. I  figured since nothing this far had helped, I was willing to give it a try! My thoughts were- even if it was a placebo that made it work- at least it worked! I was willing to try anything at this point and was convinced by the people who had had it done and claimed it helped. I decided that in a few months if I realized it was a bunch of bull, I could just take it out so I had nothing to lose.

Most of the posts and articles I read recommended to get the piercing done on the side that your migraines are the worst and if that didn't work to go back and get both sides pierced. My  migraines were mostly on the the right side. And  I'm a baby and totally afraid of needles and was scared out of my mind to get this done so I  only got that one side pierced.

I won't sugar coat it- IT HURT SO FREAKING BAD! BUT only for like a solid 5 seconds.  I twas a good 7/10 pain when the needle was going through then a 5/10 and mostly discomfort when the actual piercing was going in. That was the worst part of it cause after the needle went through I just wanted to be done and did not like him fiddling around with it trying to screw the ball on. I will be totally honest- I totally passed out AND puked afterwards hahahaha. But overall it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be! And went by pretty quickly.

I could not sleep on that side of my body for 4 days and it hurt to even clean it. My ear was pretty tender for 3-4 months. It made me wonder if the reason it helped take away migraines was because you now just thought about how sore your ear was all the time haha joking.  Anyways I had to be careful wrapping my towel around my hair after the shower because it was sore AND I hear horror stories of towels ripping them out so I was paranoid. I also couldn't wear earbud head phones for like 5 months because but  other than that it wasn't really a problem.

The first few weeks of having it done I noticed a big difference! My migraines were definitely not as severe, didn't last as long, and were not as frequent. I was overall pleased! After 2-3 months of having it done they slowly became more frequent again-not like they used to be though!  Since then i've also found out that my contact prescription was incorrect, my eye muscles are very weak and over worked, and I clench my jaw really bad when I sleep which definitely could contribute to migraines. So with that being said I wouldn't say it was LIFE CHANGING because I still have migraines (probably from the reasons I listed above)BUT they definitely don't last as long as they used to and are not AS debilitating so I feel like the piercing was WORTH IT.

Basically I WOULD recommend it to anyone who has tried OTHER methods and have not been successful. If other methods had worked I probably would not have gotten the piercing. Just realize it probably won't completely CURE it but definitely could HELP! I say it is definitely worth a try and totally recommend it!  Even if you are like me and they are just less severe and intense! And I think it's cute so win win.

(And to all my LDS friends that don't really have migraines and  really just want to say you have severe migraines as an excuse to be rebellious and get this piercing - just go get the freaking piercing! Or if you want one that bad just get a piercing somewhere else. Because WHO CARES  it's just a piercing and I promise you won't got to hell for it.)

xo
Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS