Saturday, February 17, 2018

Milo My Cutest Puppy & Emotional Support Animal (ESA)










It has been 1 year since we added Milo to our family!! It has been the craziest, most exhausting, and best year of our lives! I can't imagine life without our cute maltese-pomeranian-yorkie who was only supposed to be 6 pounds but decided to be 13 pounds instead. As many of you know he is my ESA or  Emotional Support Animal! I've had a few questions about that and so here you all go-

Background story- I have NEVER been an animal person. Like ever. If there was a puppy I would maybe pet it and think it was cute but thats about it. Other peoples dogs? I did not want them to come near me and I just couldn't understand how an animal could be a "family member" or "fur baby".  I know, I sound terrible haha but  animals just weren't my thing.

Until last year when I was struggling with my debilitating anxiety and panic disorder. I had such a hard time being by myself. My anxiety was through the roof and it was impairing my day to day life. Pax suggested we look into getting a puppy to be my ESA to see if it would help to relieve my anxiety and provide me comfort. After a few days of consideration and looking at tons of puppies the moment Paxton showed me a picture of Milo I just KNEW that he was MY puppy and that this was going to be a good step in the right direction!

Things came together perfectly and we drove to Utah to pick up our little 2 pound baby puppy. I WAS IN LOVE!!! He was the sweetest, cutest, most perfect puppy ever and I noticed a difference with my anxiety almost immediately.

+I was now able to go on walks outside +I was able to shower even when Paxton wasn't home +I didn't feel "lonely" and struggle as badly when I was by myself +Milo gave me other things to think about other than my anxiety +When I was struggling he could sense it and was the best cuddler and comforter +I HAD to get out of bed and take care of him and play with him rather than just hiding in my bed all day long +He gave me more of a purpose when I was so struggling with finding one. 

So here's just a few thaaangs about ESA's-
YOU HAVE TO BE PRESCRIBED BY A DOCTOR FOR YOUR ANIMAL TO BE AN ACTUAL ESA. All the online webistes are crap and just trying to take your money. People will not accept those types of certificates. You have to have a legit doctors letter/documentation. And it's not a breeze to get one. I checked with my counseling office & mental health dr office to see if they even did ESA notes/prescriptions before scheduling an appointment to get the documentation. My therapists office DID NOT, but my mental health dr did if I "qualified" for one. 

NOT EVERYONE WILL QUALIFY FOR THEIR DOG BEING AN ESA! There are so many people who have abused this JUST to get a dog and/or to be able to keep their dog in their housing or to take it with them on an airplane. Those people have made it difficult for people who actually need ESA's. I qualified for one and was able to get a perscription note that was good for 6 months, after that 6 months I had to go back for a check up to make sure he was proving me emotional support and not increasing my anxiety.

YOU CAN NOT TAKE YOUR ESA INTO PUBLIC STORES (except pet shops of course). ESAs are NOT service animals. There is a very distinct difference between them. A service animal is a trained animal that can perform a specific task like if their owner is diabetic or has seizures or like a guide dog. ESA's are there to provide support and comfort for certain mental disorders but are not allowed into stores. Sometimes there is a lot of confusion with that so just to clarify :) 

Milo has blessed my life in so many ways as my puppy, my pet, my fur baby, and my ESA.



xox
Bailey




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS